Postdoctoral Fellowship for Junior Qatari Scholars
Postdoctoral Fellowship for Junior Qatari Scholars In the Humanities and Social Sciences
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) invites applications for a yearlong postdoctoral fellowship in the humanities and social sciences to begin in August 2020.
The aim of this new initiative is to prepare outstanding junior Qatari scholars (within five years of the PhD) for university teaching and research careers. It will foster their success by permitting them to pursue their research while gaining mentored experience as teachers and members of the GU-Q academic community.
Candidates are invited to apply for a fellowship in a field where their work has demonstrable relevance to teaching and research at GU-Q. These fields include, but are not limited to: political science, history, philosophy, literature, comparative religion, economics, social and cultural anthropology, sociology, political theory, and international relations. Preference will be given to candidates whose interests are interdisciplinary and who would particularly benefit from and contribute to GU-Q’s intellectual life.
The primary expectation is that the postdoctoral fellow will produce scholarly publications and refine a research agenda, while gaining valuable teaching experience and building academic/professional networks in Qatar and beyond. To this end, the fellow will be invited to professional development workshops devoted to pedagogy, publishing, and mentoring, and will work with an assigned faculty mentor to hone their teaching abilities. The fellow will be expected to:
- Be in residence at GU-Q for the full academic year of appointment (August through May)
- Work with a faculty mentor to design and teach one or two undergraduate courses in an affiliated GU-Q discipline during the fellowship year
- Hold regular office hours to consult with students
- Integrate fully into the intellectual life of GU-Q
- Engage actively in scholarly exchanges with GU-Q faculty and outside visitors
- Present his/her research at a GU-Q faculty seminar
- Give a public lecture on his/her area of research as well as guest lectures in relevant classes.
Fellows may apply for a renewal of the fellowship for a second year.
GU-Q offers a generous compensation and benefits package including free medical and pension with employer matching contribution. In addition, Fellows are eligible to receive funding to support their research work and professional development.
The Fellow will be assigned an office space for his or her individual use, and is encouraged to use their office as their primary working space. The Fellow will also be provided access to university resources.
We are seeking Qatari nationals with a Ph.D./D.Phil. in the humanities or social sciences. A Doctorate in Arts (D.A.), Doctorate in Education (Ed.D.), Juris Doctorate (J.D.), honorary doctorate, or any other equivalent degree is not considered a qualified Ph.D./D.Phil. for the purpose of this fellowship. Other ineligible categories include an MFA and performing arts degrees.
Applicants holding the Ph.D./D.Phil. at the time of application must have received the degree after January 1, 2015. Applicants not yet holding the Ph.D./D.Phil. must have passed the dissertation defense no later than January 1, 2020, and must graduate no later than June 1, 2020.
Applications should be submitted to GUQ-PostDoc@georgetown.edu by December 31, 2019.
A complete application will include the following:
- Contact information
- A cover letter (one page, single-spaced) describing research and teaching interests to an interdisciplinary search committee
- Curriculum vitae
- Dissertation abstract, or research statement (up to three pages, single-spaced)
- A sample of written work in English (article length, no longer than 40 pages, double spaced);
- A separate description of teaching experience and interests (up to three single-spaced pages). Applicants should familiarize themselves with course offerings at GU-Q;
- Three confidential letters of recommendation
We discourage the submission of additional materials with your application and cannot return such materials to you. Applicants will be notified when their applications have been received, and will be notified of the fellowship competition outcome in the spring. If you accept another position or postdoctoral fellowship, please withdraw your application by emailing GUQ-PostDoc@georgetown.edu.