General Interview Questions
General interview questions tend to focus on relevant skills, personality-fit, focus, and interest in the employer. Stick to relevant information and try to keep your responses to approximately 2 minutes.
Sample General Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why you are a good fit?
- Relate your studies and/or experience to this job.
- What do you want out of your career?
- Why are you interested in working for __________?
- Why do you think you would like this type of work?
- How do you feel you will add value to our company?
- Why should I hire you? What do you know about my organization?
- As described to you, what about this position appeals to you?
- What are your 5 and 10-year career goals?
- Name three of your strengths and three of your weaknesses?
Leadership / Industriousness / Success
- What have you done that shows initiative and willingness to work?
- What qualifications do you have that will make you successful in this field?
- What qualities should a successful manager possess?
- What personal characteristics are necessary for success in this field?
- Why do you think you would be successful in this field?
Challenges and How you Overcame them
- What are some of the things you find difficult to do? Why?
- Give me an example where you dealt with pressure.
- Describe a difficult problem you've had to deal with.
- What is the most difficult situation you have faced?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- How do you manage stress? How do you handle criticism?
College Life and Decisions
- Why did you choose your particular major?
- Describe your most rewarding college experience and tell me why it was so rewarding.
- How will you prepare for the transition from college to the workplace?
- Tell me about what you learned in school that could be used on the job.
- Why did you choose to attend Georgetown?
- In what ways has college prepared you to take on greater responsibility?
- What have you gained from your extracurricular activities?
Past Experiences/Future Plans
- What have your previous jobs taught you?
- What would you like to be doing five years from now?
- What are your biggest accomplishments?
- Do you prefer to work independently or on a team?
- How do you organize and plan for major projects?
- What is your energy level like? Describe a typical day.
- Do you make your opinions known when you disagree with the views of your supervisor?
- Describe the relationship that should exist between a supervisor and subordinates.
This information is provided as a courtesy of Georgetown University's Career Education Center.