• Do I get a phone for my office?

Phone services are provided by the SFS-Q OIT. Every employee has an office phone that they can use to place local and international calls, provided they are related to official university business. You must use an international access code to place an international call.

You also have a voice mail account associated with your telephone number.  For details on how to set up your voice mail service and other features of the phone, please download the user guide below.

Cisco Unified IP Phone User Guide

  • How do I request assistance with my phone?

To request service such as a new line, moving a line, activating voice mail and international dialing, please complete the following form.  This form must be approved by the department head.

Phone Request Form

For questions about the operation of your phone, please open up a ticket with GUQ Helpcenter.