Student Activity Travel Fund
Consistent with Georgetown’s commitment to provide an environment that promotes and encourages student development, GU-Q has established the Student Activity Travel Fund (SATF) for undergraduate students enrolled at GU-Q. The SATF will be awarded through a competitive application process to ensure that undergraduate students have the means to participate in relevant and meaningful conferences, workshops, exhibitions and/or trainings that are in line with their co-curricular development.
Terms and Eligibility
- Grants will cover the cost of the conference fee, travel and accommodation for the duration of the conference, not to exceed $1,500 for an individual or $4000 for a group/club. Please provide justifications if you wish to apply for additional funding. The Student Life Review Board will go through each application on a case-by-case basis for any requests for additional funding
- Wherever possible, expenses will be paid directly by GU-Qatar
- The budget will be spent until exhausted. No cash will be given to a student and any unused portion will go back to the pool
- Students will need to pay out of pocket for any meals not covered by the conference/activity
- Applicants may only use the funds while enrolled at Georgetown University in Qatar
- Applications will be reviewed by the Student Life review board (SLRB), whose decision will be final
- Applications should be submitted at least 6 weeks prior to the intended date of departure
- For group bookings to conferences, trainings or competitions, the primary applicant can apply for slots. Any selection of the student or staff participants will be done by the Office of Student Life
Student Life will accept applications on a rolling basis throughout the fiscal year (July 1 – June 30 of every year).
However, if students are applying for travel in the spring semester and summer break, they need to submit their forms by April 1st. If students are applying for travel in the fall semester and winter break, they need to submit their forms by October 1st.
The application should consist of the following items:
- SATF Application Form – click here to access the form
- Link to the program/conference website
- Copy of any invitation or acceptance to the program/conference
Please send these applications to sfsqstudentaffairs
Missing Class to Attend a Conference
Students applying for a SATF should be aware that conference attendance, according to the official GU-Qatar attendance policy statement, is not considered to be among the legitimate circumstances warranting the issuance by a dean of official verification of an excused absence from classes. Faculty members have the right to set attendance requirements for their classes as well as to excuse any student from class on a case-by-case basis, in accordance with University policy and their own best judgment. It is essential, therefore, that Fund applicants consult their instructors in advance of application to ascertain the instructors’ conference attendance policy. Students should, therefore, look for conferences that take place in the spring, summer or winter breaks.