Employee Immigration

General Information

In order to live and/or work in the State of Qatar, anyone who is not a Qatari citizen must have a sponsor and a residence permit issued by the Ministry of Interior. The Qatar Foundation sponsors all Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) and other Education City employees. New employees enter Qatar on a work visa and then apply for a work residence permit (RP) and a multiple exit permit, which allows employees to leave and re-enter Qatar freely. 

Dependents – spouses and children – are then sponsored by employees and receive family RPs. Dependent female spouses on family residence permits do not need a multiple exit permit. However, dependent male spouses need to obtain either a multiple exit permit or a single exit permit each time they travel.

Dependent female spouses on family RPs are allowed to work, either remaining under the sponsorship of their spouse or transferring their sponsorship to their employer.  Male spouses can only work for an employer who is willing to sponsor them.

There are several steps to securing an RP and candidates interested in working in Qatar should be aware that it can often take 60 to 90 days (or more) between the time they accept an offer of employment and their work visa is ready, thus enabling them to start.  


Immigration Process and Documents