2018 Undergraduate Conference
The Middle Eastern Studies Student Association at Georgetown University in Qatar invites current undergraduate students to submit papers for the Seventh Annual Undergraduate Conference on Middle Eastern Studies. This year’s theme is
Uncertainty, Stability & Cohesion: A Transforming Middle East.
Striving to enhance undergraduate research culture, the MESSA conference encourages students to apply for this opportunity to showcase their work. The conference prides itself in hosting high caliber academic discussions and informed dialogue on economic, social and political issues pertaining to the region.
Undergraduate students with original research on the Middle East are invited to submit their papers to this year’s conference, which will take place on Thursday, March 15, 2018, at the Georgetown University campus in Doha, Qatar.
Authors of the papers selected by the MESSA review board will be allocated time within the conference to present their research and interact with an audience of distinguished experts, academics, and fellow undergraduate students. Additionally, selected papers will have a chance to be published in our academic journal.
For further information on paper submission requirements and conference presentations please refer to the attached submission guidelines and conference poster.
All papers must be submitted to the MESSA review board at sfsqmessa by Wednesday, January 25, 2018, 23:59 Qatar time (GMT +0300).
We look forward to receiving your submissions!
VII Annual MESSA Undergraduate Research Conference Guideline
- Authors can only submit their own original work
- Each author can only submit one paper
- Co-authored works are accepted
- Research papers can be completed pieces or works in progress
- Paper must include a 150-word abstract
- Must be written in English
- Should be approximately 4000 – 6000 words (excluding abstract bibliography, citations, appendices)
- Citation Style: Chicago Manual of Style 16th or 17th Edition (Notes and Bibliography Style not Author, Date)
- Citation Style must be correctly employed and consistent
- Title Page must include Paper Title, Author’s Name, University, Date
- 12 point Times New Roman Font
- Double Spaced
- Paginated – Bottom right corner
- Margins – Normal: Top 1 inch, Bottom 1 inch, Left 1 inch, Right 1 inch
- Abstract in a separate page right after title page
- Bibliography or Works Cited on separate page at the end of the paper
- Papers must be submitted in Word .docx format
- Authors of selected papers will present their work during the conference
- We hope for authors outside of Qatar to join us on conference day, however, if flying in is not an option, participants can present using online video conferencing
- Each presentation will take 10 - 15 mins (20 minutes in total with questions)
- Authors can present their work by discussing it with the audience or use PowerPoint and other visual forms
Please send any further questions or concerns to our email: sfsqmessa