Model United Nations
Welcome to Georgetown Qatar's Model United Nations Program
Our 2018 Conference will be held February 22-25
The application for the 2018 conference is now closed.
Schedule: Please click here to access the Schedule for the 2018 conference.
Conference Theme: Redefining the Role of the Individual in the Information Revolution. Committees and Topics
Georgetown University in Qatar's annual Model United Nations (MUN) conference is a forum for engaged high school students to debate current global issues and gain insight into the world of international politics and policy-making. The MUN conference is governed by the MUN Student Board.
Each year we welcome over 350 students from schools around the world to Doha for four days of MUN committee sessions and cultural experiences. Interested schools may apply to bring a team of 6 student delegates to the conference.
What is MUN?
Model United Nations is a student- run simulation of the United Nations, where students assume the roles of foreign diplomats to learn about international politics and diplomacy.
Participants at our MUN are high school students from around the world, who join our MUN as a school team of six students and one or two teachers. Student participants ("delegates") are required to research both the country they will represent at the conference as well as the specific topics to be debated in their assigned committee.
All of our committees are chaired by Georgetown University Qatar students.
Committees and Topics 2018
Georgetown Qatar MUN is dedicated to covering the most pressing issues in international affairs and beyond. Each year our team of students work diligently to come up with a list of intellectual topics that reflect the shifting dynamics of the world.
The committees and topics for the 2018 conference are as follows:
- North Korea Nuclear Threat
- Sanctions as effective deterrence: The Iran Sanctions Deal
Human Rights Council
- Securing human necessities in Conflict Zones: Rohingya and Yemen
- The Right to Privacy in the Digital Age
Disarmament and International Security Committee (DISEC)
- Achieving Disarmament in the Middle East
- Measures to Strengthen International Counter-terrorism Efforts
Special Political and Decolonization Committee (SPECPOL)
- Rise of Xenophobia Against Refugees
- Tackling Modern Border Disputes
United Nations Environment Program (UNEP)
- The Impact of Climate Change on Global Security
- The Curbing of Air pollution in East Asia
United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
- Role of Policy in granting equal opportunities to Women
- Promoting the Socioeconomic and Cultural Rights of Indigenous Peoples
Historical Security Council
- Cuban Missile Crisis
- Six-Day War : The Arab-Israeli Conflict of 1967
International Court of Justice
- The Legality of the Blockade on Qatar
- Suppression of the Financing of Terrorism and The International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination
Please click here to access the background guides for all topics.
Preparing for the Conference
For help in preparing for our MUN conference, please visit our Getting Started Page!
Please contact us with any questions about our Model United Nations program.