Starting with the second (sophomore) year, Georgetown students may enroll in classes at other Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU) schools pending space available in the class, and the approval of an academic advisor and the Assistant Registrar for SFS-Qatar. Students may not take more than one consortium class in a semester and may not take more than four such courses over the period of their degree.
Currently, cross-registration is offered at:
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Northwestern University
- Texas A&M University
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Weill-Cornell Medical College
Cross-registration courses can count towards fulfilling the requirements of the BSFS degree. In order to earn Georgetown credit for a cross-registration course, you must pass it with a grade of C or higher. The grade you earn in a cross-registration course will appear on your Georgetown transcript, but will not be factored into your cumulative GPA.
Ordinarily, cross-registration courses count as free electives. However, a student can petition to have a cross-registration course count as major or certificate credit at SFS-Q. To do so, students should present a copy of the course syllabus for review to their academic advisor.
Students may not cross-register if:
- they are in the first year of studies,
- they have taken the same or similar class previously,
- they are requesting a class which is offered at Georgetown,
- or if they are requesting a class that is not deemed equivalent to a Georgetown three-credit class.
Classes available for cross-registration will be posted each semester. Students must do the following to register:
- Complete the cross-university registration request form. Download it here
- Discuss course request with your academic advisor and obtain their signature on the form.
- Present registration form to Assistant Registrar at SFS-Qatar for signature.
- Submit registration form to the institution presenting that course
- Wait for confirmation from the institution. If you do NOT obtain a seat, please make sure you advise the Assistant Registrar to have that course removed from your SFS-Q registration record.
- If necessary, make any changes to your schedule by the add/drop deadline for that semester.
- Students studying abroad at SFS-Q are eligible to take cross-registration courses and must follow the same registration procedures and policies as SFS-Q students.
Download the Cross Registration Form. The form must be typed, not handwritten.
SPRING 2019 cross-registration information:
(will be updated with links to relevant information as it becomes available from the host institution)
Please check with the host institution what their application deadlines are if not indicated below.
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q): Courses - Select Spring 2019 main campus, then follow screen instructions to select "all subjects" then Part of Term = SFS Qatar; Please see notes below:
- Students wishing to take an ARABxxx or FRENxxx course MUST take a language placement test - no exceptions. The date and time of the test will be made available by the first day of class. We will keep the Registrar/Student Records offices informed of language placement tests details.
- Applications for cross-registration will close at 4pm on Thursday 10 January 2019. Completed forms should be submitted to the office of the Assistant Registrar, Room 1D15 in the Academic Affairs suite of the GU-Q building. Forms not completed in full or missing the passport copy will be rejected.
- A list of courses available for cross-registration can be found here.
- Registration is dependent on seats being available in the required course (including language courses) - we do not hold places for cross-registration.
- Students will be given a GU-Q student ID card for access to the building and Library. This must be returned by the end of the semester, in order to for your transcript to be issued.
Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar (CMUQ):
CMU Qatar Spring schedule is published. You may view it at https://enr-apps.as.cmu.edu/
CMU Qatar will start accepting Spring 2019 cross registration forms from December 2, 2018 to January 13, 2019. Forms to be submitted to office room # 1098 (Student Affairs area).
Northwestern University in Qatar (NUQ):
NU-Q Spring 2019 course offerings will be available on our website on November 8, 2018: http://my.qatar.northwestern.edu/academic-resources/courses/courses-offered/index.html
NU-Q will start accepting Cross-registration forms as below:-
Start date: December 2, 2018
Deadline: January 14, 2019
We will process the forms from January 7, 2019.
Texas A&M University in Qatar (TAMUQ):
Forms should be submitted to the Office of Records in room 103D. Our schedule of classes can be found after November 22, 2018 at
https://compass-ssb.tamu.edu/pls/PROD/bwckschd.p_disp_dyn_sched. Please select “Spring 2019-Qatar”.
TAMU-Q requires you to submit both the paper Cross-registration application form, and an online application form. The ‘cross-registration applicant’ link to apply online can be found here.
Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar (VCUQ):
Please see the Spring 2019 VCUQatar Schedule here . The cross-registration column is indicated in yellow in Column Y. Please note that all remains subject to change.
Cross-reg students are reminded that:
- at VCUQatar, cross registration is handled at the Office of Records and Registration. In other words, it is NOT appropriate for a non-VCUQatar student to negotiate a seat in the class directly with a faculty member.
- they may not "sit in" in the class in the hope to get registered. A student may only attend a class if s/he is effectively registered for that class first.
VCUQ will accept cross-reg forms from December 2, 2018 up to January 10, 2019. Forms will be processed from December 15, 2018.
Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar (WCMCQ):
For more information on courses available for cross-registration please see here.
WCMC-Q will accept cross-reg forms from December 2, 22018, up to January 10, 2019.