Starting with the second (sophomore) year, Georgetown students may enroll in classes at other Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU) schools pending space available in the class, and the approval of an academic advisor and the Assistant Registrar for SFS-Qatar. Students may not take more than one consortium class in a semester and may not take more than four such courses over the period of their degree.
Currently, cross-registration is offered at:
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Northwestern University
- Texas A&M University
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Weill-Cornell Medical College
Cross-registration courses can count towards fulfilling the requirements of the BSFS degree. In order to earn Georgetown credit for a cross-registration course, you must pass it with a grade of C or higher. The grade you earn in a cross-registration course will appear on your Georgetown transcript, but will not be factored into your cumulative GPA.
Ordinarily, cross-registration courses count as free electives. However, a student can petition to have a cross-registration course count as major or certificate credit at SFS-Q. To do so, students should present a copy of the course syllabus for review to their academic advisor.
Students may not cross-register if:
- they are in the first year of studies,
- they have taken the same or similar class previously,
- they are requesting a class which is offered at Georgetown,
- or if they are requesting a class that is not deemed equivalent to a Georgetown three-credit class.
Classes available for cross-registration will be posted each semester. Students must do the following to register:
- Complete the cross-university registration request form. Download it here
- Discuss course request with your academic advisor and obtain their signature on the form.
- Present registration form to Assistant Registrar at SFS-Qatar for signature.
- Submit registration form to the institution presenting that course
- Wait for confirmation from the institution. If you do NOT obtain a seat, please make sure you advise the Assistant Registrar to have that course removed from your SFS-Q registration record.
- If necessary, make any changes to your schedule by the add/drop deadline for that semester.
- Students studying abroad at SFS-Q are eligible to take cross-registration courses and must follow the same registration procedures and policies as SFS-Q students.
Download the Cross Registration Form. The form must be typed, not handwritten.
SPRING 2018 cross-registration information:
(will be updated with links to relevant information as it becomes available from the host institution)
Please check with the host institution what their application deadlines are if not indicated below.
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q): Courses - Select Spring 2018 main campus, then follow screen instructions to select "all subjects" then Part of Term = SFS Qatar; Please see notes below:
- Students wishing to take an ARABxxx or FRENxxx course MUST take a language placement test - no exceptions. The date and time of the test will be made available by the first day of class. We will keep the Registrar/Student Records offices informed of language placement tests details.
- Applications for cross-registration will close at 4pm on Tuesday 9 January 2019. Completed forms should be submitted to the office of the Assistant Registrar, Room 1D15 in the Academic Affairs suite of the GU-Q building. Forms not completed in full or missing the passport copy will be rejected.
- A list of courses available for cross-registration can be found here.
Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar (CMUQ):
CMU Qatar spring 2018 schedule is published. You may view it at https://enr-apps.as.cmu.edu/
CMU Qatar will start accepting spring 2018 cross registration forms from December 3 () until ( ). Forms to be submitted in office room # 1098 (Student Affairs area). Please note that applications for cross-registration for Spring 2018 will NOT be accepted after 12 December 2017.
Northwestern University in Qatar (NUQ): NU-Q Spring 2018 course offerings are available on our website: http://my.qatar.northwestern.edu/academic-resources/courses/courses-offered/index.html
NU-Q will start accepting Cross-registration forms as below:-
Start date: 10th December
Deadline: 16th January 2018
The list of courses available for cross-registration can be found here. We will process the forms from 3rd January 2017.
Texas A&M University in Qatar (TAMUQ):
Forms should be submitted to the Office of Records in room 103D. Our spring classes can be found at
https://compass-ssb.tamu.edu/pls/PROD/bwckschd.p_disp_dyn_sched. Please select “Spring 2018-Qatar”.
TAMU-Q requires you to submit both the paper Cross-registration application form, and an online application form. The ‘cross-registration applicant’ link to apply online can be found here.
Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar (VCUQ): Please see the Spring 2018 VCUQatar Schedule here . The cross-registration column is indicated in yellow in Column Y. Please note that all remains subject to change.
Cross-reg students are reminded that:
- at VCUQatar, cross registration is handled at the Office of Records and Registration. In other words, it is NOT appropriate for a non-VCUQatar student to negotiate a seat in the class directly with a faculty member.
- they may not "sit in" in the class in the hope to get registered. A student may only attend a class if s/he is effectively registered for that class first.
Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar (WCMCQ):
For course description and pre-requisites please visit our website:
For more information on courses available for cross-registration please see here.
For the schedule please see here