Please review and follow all posted protocols and etiquette for private offices and shared spaces. If you have questions about health and safety protocols, managing a partially remote team, or require additional support or resources, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +974 4457 8220.
Important Spring 2021 Dates
|GU-Q building closes for winter break||December 17|
|GU-Q building reopens for faculty and staff||January 3|
|Spring 2021 semester begins (virtual)||January 10|
|Instruction will be completely online||January 10 – 21|
|Gradual introduction of in-person instruction begins||January 24|
|Qatar National Sports Day – no classes||February 9|
|Spring Break||February 28 – March 4|
|Easter Sunday – no classes||April 4|
|Last day of Spring semester classes||April 26|
|Study day||April 27|
|Final exams||April 28 – 29|
|Study day||April 30|
|Final exams; End of semester||May 1 – 4|
If health and safety conditions allow and until further notice, the GU-Q building will be open for business Sunday-Thursday, 7:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. The evenings and weekends will be dedicated to cleaning and maintenance works. To ensure the health and safety of the entire community, and to minimize the density of people in the building, please do not come to the GU-Q building outside of the aforementioned business hours. Faculty who teach classes that run past the end of business hours – ending at either 6:45 p.m. or 8:00 p.m. – can be in the building on weekdays until their class session is over.
Access to the building will be limited to the VIP entrance and at Car Park 1 (underground). There will be access controls for entering the building that will include temperature checks, a green verification on the Ehteraz contact tracing app, a “CLEAR to go to campus” confirmation from the #CampusClear self-screening app, and GUID card checks. You must register a temperature of less than 38°C in order to be admitted into the building.
Note: After 4:00 p.m. the Car Park 1 entrance will be closed. You may still park your vehicle but should follow the signs to walk to the loading dock to enter the building.
We will be increasing staff presence on campus, while maintaining accommodation for employees in high-risk categories or with other relevant circumstance. Employees who require an accommodation should contact HR. All other staff members are expected to return to work on campus.
Employees required to perform their jobs in person, who wish to self-identify as being in a higher risk category due to the COVID-19 situation may request an accommodation by completing this form. Accommodation requests should be based on employee medical conditions or other high risk factors as defined by public health authorities. Individuals who have already submitted accommodation requests to GU-Q HR do not need to complete this form.
As part of the accommodation process, GU-Q HR, in coordination with the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA), may request that an employee provide documentation from a healthcare provider specifying the accommodation needed. Given the confidential nature of medical documentation, requested documentation will be maintained by GU-Q HR and will not be shared with an employee’s supervisor.
Employees who have concerns related to a household member’s medical condition, or who are interested in exploring flexible working arrangements based on childcare or other circumstances, may submit their request to Nicole Heinz in HR via email at email@example.com.
GU-Q has instituted a number of health and safety measures to minimize the risk of infection, including onsite screening protocols, the mandatory use of face masks, and strict adherence to physical distancing. Please visit the STAY SAFE page for a detailed listing of these measures.
Faculty, students, staff, and contractors are required to wear face masks (made-for-purpose only, no bandanas, no vents) in all public areas of the GU-Q building. This includes the underground parking lot, all entrances, and classrooms. You do not have to wear a mask while working alone in your office with the door closed or while seated to eat your food.
When you enter the campus many signs and banners will indicate the distancing rules. Please follow all posted signage for the paths around the building and maintain indicated distances. We continue to work with QF and the other partner institutions to coordinate physical distancing and safety measures across all spaces on campus. Please visit the STAY SAFE page for more details on health and safety measures.
PLEASE NOTE: In the event of an emergency evacuation you should ignore all one-way systems and evacuate using the nearest emergency exit. Please ensure your face mask is on and maintain physical distancing at the assembly points.
The safety measures and PPE (face masks, face shields, etc.) that are in place for faculty, students, and staff, are also available to contractors.
We will follow the Ministry of Public Health’s guidance and protocols for handling confirmed and suspected cases of COVID-19. This includes procedures for reporting, contact tracing, quarantine, and isolation. If a member of our community suspects that they have COVID-19 symptoms, they should contact the Ministry of Public Health hotline at 16000. In addition, they are urged to contact Malgorzata (Gosia) Ledwon in HR via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yes. If you are residing with your family, you will also need to quarantine.
We are working with QF to see if testing can be conducted in the QF Primary Health Care Center. We will let you know as soon as we have more information.
Detailed health information can be found on the Health Information section of the GU-Q COVID-19 website.
In coordination with their unit heads, faculty and staff should designate one location as the primary work location (e.g. home or office). Keep your main equipment there, using your laptop when working from an alternate location. If your primary work location will be on campus, pack any GU-Q equipment (including cables and accessories), and bring it back to your office on a date agreed on by the IT Team. If you need assistance, please email GU-Q IT at email@example.com and you will be offered several appointment slots to choose from.
You may keep your office chair at home for now. If you borrowed it, please inform Facilities Management via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and they will provide you with another one for your office.
Please see the Remote Work Guide for a variety of resources and tips to help you set up your home office and work effectively from home.
As a safety measure, we are aiming to minimize the number of visitors to the GU-Q building. Therefore, faculty and staff are strongly encouraged to hold meetings with external visitors online rather than in person whenever possible. All requests for exceptions should follow this process >>
Visit the Doha Metro site to plan your journey, download the app, or look up timings and map info. On campus, visit the transportation page for the map and schedule of the QF Shuttle. Should you have a business need for a driver, they remain available on an on-call basis. Please raise a ticket or contact Dennis at email@example.com.
Global Café is open and vending machines offer snacks and hot drinks. You may also arrange for food to be delivered to the building between 12:00 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. on weekdays. The delivery driver will be directed to the VIP entrance where you should meet them to collect your food. Filicori is now closed and will no longer be available as a food service option in the GU-Q Humanitarium Building. Students should receive prioritized seating in the Atrium, so faculty and staff should plan to eat in their offices if necessary. Visit the STAY SAFE page for more details on dining options.
Employees are able to request books for pick up in the Library or at the VIP entrance through the Library Item Request Form. Please be advised that due to health and safety precautions, library users are not currently able to retrieve books directly from the stacks.
The gym will remain closed. We will reassess gym access and announce changes as appropriate.
On-Campus Work Environment and Resources
- COVID-19 Accommodations
Employees required to perform their jobs in person, who wish to self-identify as being in a higher risk category due to the COVID-19 situation may request an accommodation by completing this form. Accommodation requests should be based on employee medical conditions or other high risk factors as defined by public health authorities.
- As part of the accommodation process, GU-Q HR, in coordination with the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA), may request that an employee provide documentation from a healthcare provider specifying the accommodation needed. Given the confidential nature of medical documentation, requested documentation will be maintained by GU-Q HR and will not be shared with an employee’s supervisor.
- Alternative Work Arrangements
Employees who have concerns related to a household member’s medical condition, or who are interested in exploring flexible working arrangements based on childcare or other circumstances, may submit their request to Nicole Heinz in HR via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Physical Distancing and Safety Measures
- Private offices are single occupancy; meet online or in designated rooms
- Knock on the door and wait for permission before opening
- Clear your desk at the end of each workday to facilitate cleaning
- Use provided disinfectant wipes to keep your workspace clean
- Offices bins will be emptied daily, offices deep cleaned twice a week, plants watered once a week
Physical Distancing and Safety Measures
- Face masks (only made-for-purpose, no bandanas, no vents) are required at all times in shared spaces except while eating
- Reduce staff working in shared spaces through staggered shifts
- One person per desk and ensure adequate physical distancing
- Hold virtual meetings instead of using shared spaces whenever possible
- Be mindful of shared work surfaces and minimize touching shared items
- Be mindful of movement in shared spaces to avoid crossing paths
- Maintain a 2 meter space or use provided partition for physical distancing between work spaces and furniture
- Use provided disinfectant wipes to keep your workspace clean
- Clear your workspace at the end of each workday to facilitate cleaning
- Workspaces will be deep cleaned twice a week, plants watered once a week
- A posted notification will indicate any service visit
Physical Distancing and Safety Measures
- Face masks (only made-for-purpose, no bandanas, no vents) and physical distancing are required at all times
- Do not hold meetings in private offices
- Hold meetings virtually; avoid using conference and meeting rooms if possible
- For in-person meetings, be aware of posted room capacity limits
- Meeting owner is responsible for ensuring physical distancing at all times
- Employees have been provided with their own set of white board markers, erasers
- To avoid crossing paths, meeting participants should choose a seat starting at the back of the room, and exit starting with the person seated closest to the door
- Furniture has been arranged 2 meters apart; please do not move
- Use provided antibacterial screen wipes to clean touch screens
- Use provided antibacterial wipes to clean workspaces & high-touch surfaces before and after room use
Support and Training
- IT will continue to support all classroom and meeting room requirements remotely or in-person on an appointment basis
- Faculty training sessions and short video tutorials on the IT website will provide training on new AV technology upgrades in classrooms
- Support is available to help reinstall office equipment returned to campus after remote work
- Clean GU-Q printers with provided antibacterial screen wipes before and after use
- Clean your monitor, keyboard, mouse, and workspace with provided antibacterial wipes before and after use
- Office stationery and recalling of storage will be supplied upon request
- All office supplies will be delivered directly to your office; please contact email@example.com to place an order
- Use provided antibacterial wipes to sanitize newly delivered office supplies
Access and Safety Measures
- Only office assistants can enter pantries 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and they will be on breaks between 11:00 to 11:30 a.m. and 2:00 to 2:30 p.m.
- Office assistance will provide mail delivery, beverage and pantry services, but no office support such as printing, copying or binding
- Office assistants will be fully trained in best hygiene practices and procedures
- Office assistants will wear face masks, and gloves and face shields as needed
- You may bring food to put in the refrigerator; the office assistant will take it from you and wipe it down before placing it in the fridge
- Food containers will be wiped down and returned to you by office assistants before they leave each day
- Pantry refrigerators will be cleaned nightly; no overnight storage
- Pantries can be accessed outside restricted hours
- Bring and use only your own labeled cups, dishes, and utensils
- Water coolers will be placed outside the pantry. Please wipe down water coolers with provided antibacterial wipes before and after each use.
This checklist is intended to clarify certain questions you may have, such as what to do if you borrowed office or IT equipment, and highlight certain procedures to consider during this period. In it you will also find general advice and expectations for when you are on campus, as well as links to helpful websites.
Visit the Health Information page to learn more about:
- What is COVID-19?
- Signs and Symptoms of COVID-19
- Current COVID-19 Statistics in Qatar
- How to Protect Yourself and Others
- Mental Wellness and Wellbeing
- What to Do in Case of Exposure to the Virus
- Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Guidance on Prevention
- Other Resources