Visas for Visiting Family
Policy and Procedure
If a member of your family needs a visa to enter Qatar, Georgetown can request assistance from Qatar Foundation, your sponsor. The following procedure and guidelines will apply:
Visa On Arrival:
- Qatar Foundation (QF) will not process a visa request for anyone who can get it on arrival at the airport. The following is a link to the 80 nationalities in this category: approved countries. QF will only facilitate the process for immediate family members (parents and siblings).
- The traveler's passport needs to be valid for at least 6 months past the date of entry.
- Some residents of GCC countries are eligible for a visa on arrival - GCC residents of approved professions and those accompanying them may obtain a one-month GCC Resident Visit Visa on arrival or through a Qatari Embassy. The visa is renewable for an additional three months. Applicants should carry proper documentation proving their profession.
Visa In Advance:
- If your family member cannot get a visa on arrival, we need at least 2-4 weeks to process the request.
- Visa requests for official Georgetown or QF events, such as Family Day and Commencement, will be supported by Georgetown. Again, we need at least 2-4 weeks to process the request.
- QF will only facilitate the process for immediate family members (parents and siblings).
- Submit to Omar Al Swadi a copy of each traveler's passport pages which contain a photo, country of issue and current expiration date.
- For non-event visits, family members should try to get a visa from the hotel where they are staying. Most major hotels in Qatar provide this service. If your family is unable to get a visa from the hotel, please inform Naila Sherman, Office of Student Development.