Starting with the second (sophomore) year, Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) students may enroll in classes at other Education City schools pending space available in the class, and the approval of an academic advisor and the Associate Registrar for GU-Q. Students may not take more than one consortium class in a semester and may not take more than four such courses over the period of their degree. Courses taken through cross-registration should be in the area of “enrichment” – ordinarily, a student will not be allowed to take part of their core or major requirements at another university.
GU-Q students may not cross-register if:
- they are in the first year of studies
- they have taken the same or a similar class previously
- they are requesting a class which is the same as/similar to one offered at Georgetown
- they are requesting a class that is not deemed equivalent to a Georgetown three-credit class
Applying for a Cross-registration class
- Complete the Education City Cross-registration form. This is the only form that will be accepted, and must be completed online and printed off for appropriate signatures. Old/handwritten forms will not be accepted. In addition, you must submit a copy of your passport with the registration request form. Forms will not be accepted if they are incomplete in any way.
- Registration at the university in which you plan to enroll is on a first-come, first-served basis. Once your form has been processed by the Associate Registrar for GU-Q, you will then need to take the form to the host university to be registered for the course.
- The host university will advise you if your application is successful.
- Once your cross-registration course enrollment is confirmed by the host university, you must submit the course information to the Associate Registrar for GU-Q to have the courses added to your academic record.
Reminder: By enrolling at another university in Education City, you are agreeing to follow their university rules and policies, which includes attending classes even if GU-Q is closed. Not all universities follow the same academic calendar and you must adhere to the requirements of the host university.
Special submission process for Spring 2021 due to Covid-19 restrictions:
As we are all working remotely, the universities will be accepting emailed cross-registration forms. However, the forms must still be completed in full (typed, not handwritten) and signed. Here are instructions on how to sign a pdf. Once you have received the signatures from your academic advisor/dean and your home registrar, you must add a copy of your passport and send the documents in a single email to the host university following the instructions below.
Spring 2021 cross-registration course listings
Below you will find information on the courses available for cross-registration by other universities in Education City for the Fall 2020 term. All courses are subject to space availability and pre-requisites being met.
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q):
- Course schedule.
- A list of courses open to cross-registration will be made available by 24 November 2020 .
- Students wishing to take an ARABxxx or FRENxxx course MUST take a language placement test – no exceptions. The test is usually held only for the Fall semester on the first day of classes. Students should contact GU-Q about the placement test timing
- We will begin receiving the cross-registration forms for Spring 2021 via email to the Associate Registrar at GU-Q from Sunday, 29th November 2020. The forms should be complete with a copy of passport and sent with the attachments in a single email. Please see the instructions above for completing and signing a pdf form.
- Incomplete forms will be returned to the student.
- The last day to receive cross-registration forms for Spring 2021 will be Sunday 3rd January 2021 at 3pm.
- Classes start on Sunday 10 January 2021.
- Registration is dependent on seats being available in the required course (including language courses).
- Students will be given a GU-Q student ID card for access to the building and Library. This must be returned by the end of the semester, in order for your transcript to be issued. Students must complete the clearance form that can be found here.
Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar (CMU-Q):
- Spring 2021 courses are available at https://enr-apps.as.cmu.edu/open/SOC/SOCServlet/search (Teaching Location: Doha, Qatar).
- Student to email the completed cross registration application form with a copy of the passport to firstname.lastname@example.org
- CMUQ will start accepting cross registration forms for Spring 2021 from November 29 until January 7, 2021. Classes start on Sunday January 17, 2021.
Northwestern University in Qatar (NU-Q):
- Our Spring 2021 course schedule is available on our website: https://my.qatar.northwestern.edu/academic-resources/courses/courses-offered/index.html
- Please submit Spring 2021 cross-registration forms with a copy of the passport as an attachment and sent in one email. Forms should be sent to the NUQ Student records email. Incomplete forms will be returned to the student and the home registrar will also be notified.
- We will begin accepting cross-registration forms via email from December 6, 2020 until January 12, 2021
Texas A&M University in Qatar (TAMU-Q):
- The schedule of classes offered can be viewed at Class Schedule . From the drop down menu please ensure to select “Spring 2021 – Qatar”.
- We will begin accepting cross-registration forms via email from November 29 until December 31, at 4:00 pm
- Student to email the digitally signed and approved cross registration application form with a copy of the passport to email@example.com
- TAMU-Q requires students to submit both the education city cross-registration application form, and an online application form found at Cross-registration online application
- Classes start on Sunday January 10, 2021.
Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar (VCUArts-Q):
- List of courses can be found here https://georgetown.box.com/s/pg80jknysc3gdg8aji262oudrf2rh1ws
- VCUQ will accept applications starting December 1. Last day to submit applications is December 17.
- Please note the Course Mode of Instruction in the top section, as well as in the 7th column. Course Modes of Instruction remains subject to change.. (as does the schedule itself.).
- All our in-classroom sections will be simultaneously and synchronously broadcast to zoom. No student is mandated to attend in person.
Weill Cornell Medicine – Qatar (WCM-Q):
Due to the current Covid-19 situation, course schedules are subject to change. None of these courses are delivered completely online. If you are interested in cross-registering at WCMQ, please contact Dr. James Roach ( firstname.lastname@example.org). He will be happy to answer any of your questions regarding scheduling issues.