Starting with the second (sophomore) year, Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q) students may enroll in classes at other Education City schools pending space available in the class, and the approval of an academic advisor and the Associate Registrar for GU-Q. Students may not take more than one consortium class in a semester and may not take more than four such courses over the period of their degree. Courses taken through cross-registration should be in the area of “enrichment” - ordinarily, a student will not be allowed to take part of their core or major requirements at another university.
GU-Q students may not cross-register if:
- they are in the first year of studies;
- they have taken the same or a similar class previously;
- they are requesting a class which is the same as/similar to one offered at Georgetown;
- they are requesting a class that is not deemed equivalent to a Georgetown three-credit class.
Applying for a Cross-registration class
- Complete the Education City Cross-registration form. This is the only form that will be accepted, and must be completed online and printed off for appropriate signatures. Old/handwritten forms will not be accepted. In addition, you must submit a copy of your passport with the registration request form. Forms will not be accepted if they are incomplete in any way.
- Registration at the university in which you plan to enroll is on a first-come, first-served basis. Once your form has been processed by the Associate Registrar for GU-Q, you will then need to take the form to the host university to be registered for the course.
- The host university will advise you if your application is successful.
- Once your cross-registration course enrollment is confirmed by the host university, you must submit the course information to the Associate Registrar for GU-Q to have the courses added to your academic record.
Reminder: By enrolling at another university in Education City, you are agreeing to follow their university rules and policies, which includes attending classes even if GU-Q is closed. Not all universities follow the same academic calendar and you must adhere to the requirements of the host university.
Special submission process for Summer 2020 and Fall 2020 due to Covid-19 restrictions:
As we are all working remotely, the universities will be accepting emailed cross-registration forms. However, the forms must still be completed in full (typed, not handwritten) and signed. Here are instructions on how to sign a pdf. Once you have received the signatures from your academic advisor/dean and your home registrar, you must add a copy of your passport and send the documents in a single email to the host university following the instructions below.
Fall 2020 cross-registration course listings
Below you will find information on the courses available for cross-registration by other universities in Education City for the Fall 2020 term. All courses are subject to space availability and pre-requisites being met.
Georgetown University in Qatar (GU-Q):
- Course schedule.
- A list of courses open to cross-registration can be found here.
- Students wishing to take an ARABxxx or FRENxxx course MUST take a language placement test - no exceptions. The test is usually held only for the Fall semester on the first day of classes. Students should contact GU-Q about the placement test timing
- We will begin receiving the cross-registration forms for Fall 2020 from your students via email to the Associate Registrar at GU-Q from Sunday, 2nd August 2020. The forms should be complete with a copy of passport and sent with the attachments in a single email. Please see the instructions above for completing and signing a pdf form.
- Incomplete forms will be returned to the student.
- The last day to receive cross-registration forms for Fall 2020 will be Tuesday 25th August at 3pm.
- Classes start on Sunday 23 August 2020.
- Registration is dependent on seats being available in the required course (including language courses).
- Students will be given a GU-Q student ID card for access to the building and Library. This must be returned by the end of the semester, in order for your transcript to be issued. Students must complete the clearance form that can be found here.
Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar (CMU-Q):
- Fall 2020 courses are available here (Teaching Location: Doha, Qatar).
- Student to email the completed cross registration application form with a copy of the passport to firstname.lastname@example.org
- CMUQ will start accepting cross registration forms for Fall 2020 from August 2 until August 16, 2020.
Northwestern University in Qatar (NU-Q):
- Course schedule here and course descriptions here.
- Please note the deadline to register for classes is Tuesday 25 August 2020.
- We will begin receiving the cross-registration forms for Fall 20 from your students via email to NU-Q Student Records mailbox from Sunday, 2nd August 2020. The forms should be complete with a copy of passport and sent to email@example.com with the attachments in a single email. Incomplete forms will be returned to the students with a copy to the home registrar. The last day to receive cross-registration forms for Fall 20 will be 25th August 3pm.
Texas A&M University in Qatar (TAMU-Q):
- Course schedule. Select Fall 2020 - Qatar to view the course schedule for our campus.
- All courses are open for cross-registration provided a student meets the prerequisites.
Start accepting cross registration forms from August 2 until August 20, 2020 at 4:30 pm.
Students should email the digitally signed and approved course registration form with a copy of the passport to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- TAMU-Q requires you to submit both the paper cross-registration application form, and an online application form. The "cross-registration applicant" link to apply online can be found here.
Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar (VCUArts-Q):
- Course schedule. Please check the column "Open to Registration" on the Course Schedule. Only courses marked with "X" in this column are open to Cross Registration. The Course Schedule remains subject to change.
- Cross-Registration Forms are accepted starting Sunday, August 2, 2020 until 3:00PM Thursday, August 13, 2020.
- Registration for Cross Registration will commence on Sunday, August 2, 2020.
- Completed Cross Registration forms, including requisite electronic approval signatures, must be submitted to the Office of Records and Registration (Department of Enrollment and Registration Services) by email to the Senior Registration Officer. at VCUarts Qatar. Cross Registration forms which are not completed in full, missing requisite signatures, or missing the passport copy will not be accepted or processed.
- All formalities re Cross Registration of EC students at VCUarts Qatar are handled exclusively by the Office of Records and Registration.
- Classes start on Sunday, August 23, 2020.
- Registration is conditional on the availability of seats.
- Students wishing to take an ARBC courses must complete a language placement test - no exceptions. The test is usually held only for the Fall semester, during New Student Orientation. Students should contact VCUarts Qatar 's Office of Records and Registration for information about a placement test for Spring enrollment.
- Students who can be registered will be provided with a VCU-ID number as well as a VCU email address. Students must activate their VCU email. The VCU email is used for all official communications by the university, including by instructors.
- VCUarts Qatar’s Office of Records and Registration will notify students as to whether or not a student has been granted a seat in cross registration status in the course(s) of interest.
- Note that VCUarts Qatar complies with FERPA (US federal law) and the Virginia Code (Virginia state law) as it regards students' right to privacy of their educational records and contact information.
Weill Cornell Medicine - Qatar (WCM-Q):
- Fall 2020 Course schedule.
- Forms must be submitted to the Office of Registrar at email@example.com by August 27, 2020.
Due to the current Covid-19 situation, course schedules will be posted on a weekly basis. If you are interested in cross-registering at WCMQ, please contact Dr. James Roach (firstname.lastname@example.org), he will be happy to answer any of your questions regarding scheduling issue(s).