Model United Nations
Welcome to Georgetown Qatar's Model United Nations Program
Our GMUN 2020 Conference will be held February 20-23
The application and the schedule for the 2020 conference will be live soon. STAY TUNED!
Please note that this is the page for the GMUN conference in February 2020.
For our Fall MUN conference (Oct 31-Nov 2, 2019), please click HERE
Location: Georgetown University, Qatar - The hotel for international participants is the Marriott Marquis City Center
Conference Theme: The North-South Divide: Authority, Inequality, and Interventionism
Georgetown University in Qatar's annual Model United Nations (MUN) conference is a forum for engaged high school students to debate current global issues and gain insight into the world of international politics and policy-making. The MUN conference is governed by the MUN Student Board.
Each year we welcome over 350 students from schools around the world to Doha for four days of MUN committee sessions and cultural experiences. Interested schools may apply to bring a team of 6 student delegates to the conference.
What is MUN?
Model United Nations is a student- run simulation of the United Nations, where students assume the roles of foreign diplomats to learn about international politics and diplomacy.
Participants at our MUN are high school students from around the world, who join our MUN as a school team of six students and one or two teachers. Student participants ("delegates") are required to research both the country they will represent at the conference as well as the specific topics to be debated in their assigned committee.
All of our committees are chaired by Georgetown University Qatar students.
Committees and Topics 2020
Georgetown Qatar MUN is dedicated to covering the most pressing issues in international affairs and beyond. Each year our team of students work diligently to come up with a list of intellectual topics that reflect the shifting dynamics of the world.
The background guides for all committees will be up by December 2019
Security Council: Dual Delegate (SC)
- Political Stability in the Middle East: De-escalating US-Iran Tensions
- Line of Actual Control: The Sino-Indian Dispute
Human Rights Council (HRC)
- The Evolution of Immigration Policies
- State Crackdown on the Sudanese Uprising
World Health Organization (WHO)
- Vaccine hesitancy and global health
- Developing mental-health care infrastructure
International Court of Justice (ICJ)
- Relocation of the United States Embassy to Jerusalem (Palestine v. USA)
- Appeal Relating to the Jurisdiction of the ICAO Council under Article II, Section 2, of the 1944 International Air Services Transit Agreement (Bahrain, Egypt and United Arab Emirates v. Qatar)
Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)
- Combating the issue of ‘Brain Drain’ in Developing Countries
- Tracing the economic power of extremist groups
Disarmament and International Security (DISEC)
- The Territorial Integrity of Afghanistan
- Cyber-warfare and Espionage
Commission on the Status of Women (CSW)
- Gender-Selective Abortion
- The Family Guardian System
United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)
- Climate Refugees and International Regulations on Waste-Dumping
- Poaching of Endangered Species
- The Cold War
Preparing for the Conference
For help in preparing for our MUN conference, please visit our Getting Started Page!
Please contact us with any questions about our Model United Nations program.